Archive

Archive for the ‘Boxing’ Category

Mayweather to end layoff against Ortiz

June 8, 2011 Leave a comment
Agence France-Presse

LAS VEGAS, Nevada – Unbeaten US boxing star Floyd Mayweather said Tuesday he will end a 16-month layoff on September 17 when he fights countryman Victor Ortiz for the World Boxing Council welterweight title.

ayweather, 41-0 with 25 knockouts, has not climbed into the ring since May of last year when he won a unanimous 12-round decision over Shane Mosley but he announced on his Twitter microblogging page that he was ready to return.
“My fans have been waiting long enough. Floyd Mayweather vs Victor Ortiz. Sept-17 2011 for the WBC World Championship,” Mayweather tweeted.
Southpaw Ortiz, 29-2-2 with 22 knockouts, claimed the WBC crown last April with a unanimous 12-round decision over previously undefeated Andre Berto of the United States.
“I am ready to return to the ring and give my fans a fantastic night of boxing by fighting the best out there,” Mayweather said. “For me, that is Victor Ortiz.
“He is the current champion and an extremely talented fighter who showed amazing skills, and heart, in his last performance. At this stage of my career, these are the challenges I look for, a young, strong, rising star looking to make his mark in boxing by beating me.
“Ortiz is just going to be another casualty, the 42nd one who tried and failed. Trust me. I will be ready.”
Countered Ortiz: “I know he will be ready, but so will I. I’m a world champion for a reason and I am not going to let go of my title any time soon.”
Fight fans have waited for years to see Mayweather face Filipino icon Manny Pacquiao, but talks have failed and the fighters have battled other foes instead.
Pacquiao defeated Mosley last month in Las Vegas, which is likely where Mayweather’s September fight will be staged. Pacquiao is expected to face Juan Manuel Marquez in November at Las Vegas.
Mayweather, who has fought only twice since stopping Britain’s Ricky Hatton in December of 2007, also faces two court cases, one which could result in a 34-year prison sentence.
Mayweather’s evidence hearing on felony domestic violence charges is set for July 29. He is accused of grand larceny, coercion and robbery felonies stemming from an dispute last September with former girlfriend Josie Harris and could go behind bars for 34 years if convicted on all charges.
Mayweather also faces a September 1 trial date on a misdemeanour battery charge for allegedly poking a 21-year-old homeowners’ association security guard in the face during a scuffle last November over parking tickets. He faces a maximum of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine in that case.
Advertisements
Categories: Boxing, Sport News

Pacquiao retains WBO title

May 8, 2011 Leave a comment
http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf

Manny Pacquiao caught Shane Mosley early, then chased him the rest of
the night. Not much more he could do against an aging fighter who seemed
only to want to survive.
Pacquiao won a lopsided 12-round decision Saturday night, retaining his
version of the welterweight title in a fight that was roundly booed over
the late rounds because Mosley refused to trade punches. He won every
round on two ringside scorecards in extending the remarkable run that
has made him the most exciting fighter in the sport. 
Pacquiao knocked Mosley down with a left hook in the third round, a
punch that seemed to sap Mosley’s willingness to engage. Pacquiao ran
after Mosley the rest of the fight, but the former champion who has
never been stopped in 18 years in the ring managed to stay away enough
to finish the 12th round upright.
Pacquiao won 120-108 on one scorecard, 120-107 on a second and 119-108
on the third. The Associated Press had him winning 118-110.
For Mosley, the fight was strikingly similar to his bout a year ago
against Floyd Mayweather Jr. — except this time he didn’t even land a
big punch like he did early on against Mayweather. His biggest moment on
this night came when referee Kenny Bayless mistakenly ruled that Mosley
knocked Pacquiao down in the 10th round when he didn’t even hit him
with a punch.
The knockout that wasn’t seemed to spur Pacquiao on as he went after
Mosley the rest of the round and again in the 11th. By then the crowd
was cheering “Knock him out, knock him out” but Pacquiao — bothered by a
cramp in his left leg since the fourth round — didn’t have enough to
finish him off.
“It wasn’t my best performance,” Pacquiao had. “I did my best. I did not expect this result.”
Mosley said he thought he did a good job despite losing round after
round, and wouldn’t blame his bad performance on the fact he is 39 and
has been fighting ever since he was a child.
“I fought the best fighter in the world,” Mosley said. “He has
exceptional power, power that I’ve never been hit like this before.”
Mosley was tentative from the opening bell, moving backward and
seemingly unwilling to engage Pacquiao. With good reason, because a left
hook by Pacquiao found its mark with a minute left in the third round
and put Mosley on the canvas for only the third time in his 18-year pro
career.
Pacquiao pressed the fight most of the night, but he too seemed
unwilling to take many chances, which trainer Freddie Roach said was
because of the muscle cramp that his corner tried to massage between
rounds.
“He had no leverage to move after that,” Roach said. “It was a very gutty performance in my mind.”
Perhaps, but the sellout crowd of 16,412 came to see more, and booed
repeatedly in the late rounds. The boos were directed at Mosley, not
Pacquiao, but it was clear early on this would not be a classic fight.
Mosley fought as if trying to protect his legacy of having never been
knocked out and, if that was his strategy, it succeeded. But it made for
a lackluster fight and did nothing to burnish the legacy that the
Filipino champion has built with 14 straight wins over the last six
years — including some over some of the biggest names in the game.
Pacquiao made a minimum of $20 million for the fight, while Mosley was guaranteed $5 million.
The Globe and Mail
Categories: Boxing, Sport News

Champ lightens camp’s mood

May 4, 2011 Leave a comment
HOLLYWOOD—Manny Pacquiao sang, laughed and cracked jokes as he capped his Los Angeles training at the Wild Card gym here.

His light mood caught on with Team Pacquiao, including trainer Freddie Roach.

Roach
continued standing his ground that Shane Mosley, who Pacquiao faces on
May 7 in Las Vegas, will get knocked out between the fifth and seventh
rounds of their welterweight bout.


The end might even come earlier.
“Three
rounds? I’d love that,” Roach told Filipino journalists before the road
trip to Las Vegas. “I have a lot of confidence in my guy.”

“Manny Pacquiao goes out there really quick and does what he can do. He can end it if he wants to. If he wants to do it.”


Pacquiao, though, was a bit more cautious.

In
what was supposed to be a day to taper off in training, Pacquiao
continued to work his abdominal muscles after a heavy gym session.


“Buti
na ang nakakasiguro (It’s better to be sure),” he told onlookers that
included PBA greats Benjie Paras and Kenneth Duremdes.

Interviewed
by a Los Angeles TV station on his training habits, Pacquaio said: “If
you train hard there’s nothing to worry about.”
Categories: Boxing, Sport News

Cambodians win six of eight international bouts

April 8, 2011 Leave a comment
Apsara TV hosted it’s inaugural International Khmer Boxing Fight Day
yesterday at the indoor hall of Old Stadium with eight bouts matching
local boxers against foreign fighters. The home crowd got their money’s
worth with six victories for Cambodians, to just a single loss and a
draw.
 Photo by: Yeun Ponlok

Cambodia’s Vonn Viva kicks Mustafa Abdullah of Iran during their international bout yesterday.

In the first fight, National Defence Ministry Club boxer
Sarim Nga was defeated on points by Thorng Bang of Laos in their
54-kilogram fight. Kratie club’s Chhay Meas then saw the judges decision
go is his favour in the 60-kilogram bout against Chinese brawler Cho
Nivorng.

Ministry of Agriculture Club’s Chhet Ngoy put Cambodia
one up by means of another points decision in a comical 51-kilogram
fight against diminutive Lak Chhay of Thailand, who punches could hardly
reach the chin of his opponent.

The day’s only draw came in the
following 57-kilogram match between Reachsey Anti-drug Club’s Reachasey
Chanra and Laotian boxer Nou Khit.

The spectators were then treated to a slew of stoppages by to secure Cambodian bragging rights.

Sen
Rady of Ministry of Agriculture Club knocked out his Thai rival, Thang
Chhang Phoeuk, in the fourth round of their 54-kilogram bout.

Salavan
Keila Club fighter Bheut Kam from took two rounds less to flatten
69-kilogram opponent Rotana Noy of Thailand with a vicious knee.

ISKA
Middleweight title holder Vorn Viva from Preakhan Reach Club inflicted a
deep wound on the face of Iranian Mustafa Abdullah with his elbow to
force retirement in the fourth round of their 75-kilogram fight.

In
the final dual at 63.5 kilograms, Ministry of Agriculture Club’s Phon
Phanna put in another explosive performance on the way to clinching a
decision victory over Uzbekistan’s En Vert.

Categories: Boxing, Sport News

HBO may fight through balance of year without Pacquiao and Mayweather

April 8, 2011 Leave a comment
Michael Marley
When it comes to televising quality boxing events across America, it’s been pretty much a two horse race for a long, long time.
You might compare Home Box Office to Secretariat and then turn around
and call Showtime, now the Showtime/CBS combo, like another great
thoroughbred, Affirmed.
That’s why I think it’s remarkable and something that cannot be
glossed over to note that there is a genuine chance that 2011 will be a
calendar year in which perennial prime cable network frontrunner HBO may
not televise a single Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather fight.
That’s right, the ailing sport’s two biggest stars may spend 2011
fighting, or in the case of the semi-retired Mayweather not fighting,
elsewhere.
Mayweather pops up in pricey courtside seats for NBA games in Miami,
New York and Los Angeles and in occcasional IRS rax lien and Las Vegas
criminal and civil case news flashes but he’s about mark a full year
(May 1) since he last fought.
No Mayweather and no Pacman on HBO, it’s a curious situation one must concede.
With this surprising notion in mind, I had to figure that Pacquiao
promoter Bob Arum, who nearly always has something up his sleeve other
than his sleeve, must be scheming, plotting and plotting and plotting
how he can play off rivals HBO and Showtime/CBS to his financial benefit
beyond the May 7 Sugar Shane Mosley-Pacman bout which screens on
Showtime handled PPV TV.
How long will the fat cats at HBO wish to let exciting but still not
at megastar level Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez be the network’s leading
fistic face?
First, Arum said nothing is in the works beyond May 7 and nothing
will be discussed with either network until Pacquiao and Mosley have
concluded their business.
“It would be really unfair of us, I mean unfair to Manny and to
Shane, to be distracted from this promotion,” Arum said. “So the answer
is no, we have not been distracted by future business. All talks can
come right after May 7. We’ve got to put in extra effort now on the May 7
event, nothing else.”
With a month to go before Manny and Shane cross gloves, Arum said that HBO’s boxing lineup is hardly its first priority.
“If Pacquiao and/or Mayweather do not fight (this year) on HBO, HBO is
and will remain a very profitable and highly successful TV company. That
is for sure with or without a Pacquiao or a Mayweather fight on their
air in 2011.
“Don’t worry about HBO, I’m sure they will survive very nicely.”
Arum said a different Pacquiao will now get a major PR push.
“We’re going to get some really huge exposure for Manny’s wife,
Jinkee,” Arum said. “We’re doing this like a presidential campaign. So,
when her husband is training for the fight, you may see Jinkee appearing
on different programs.
“Jinkee’s not coming to the U.S. until after Easter so, on April 29,
she’s going to be a guert on a CBS talk show with Julie Chen. I spoke to
Jinkee about this on the media tour and she’s quite excited.”
Arum said other Showtime/CBS connected media platforms will feature
Mosley. Arum was delighted with promo spots CBS aired for the fight this
past weekend.
“Besides the half hour show, the Fight Camp 360, they gave us a 60
second spot and a 30 second spot before the NCAA basketball games and
that was just really huge exposure.”
Meanwhile, Arum’s ex-promotional charge, Oscar De La Hoya took some
verbal shots at the Top Rank top dog while speaking to my fellow Anita
Baker fan, Steve Kim at Maxboxing.
Always the dutiful, responsible hack, I mean journalist, I inquired
if Arum wanted to counter Oskie’s saying he “blows smoke up” people’s
rear ends and “always go negative, speaks negative.”
“No more,” Arum said. “I’m not going to do that, to respond. Let him
say what he wants to say. I am not going to waste my time, he can say
whatever the hell he wants to say. I’ll say nothing except what I’ve
said about him before, that he is stupid.”
There, glad to see that TR-GBP namecalling end with a whimper, aren’t you?
I think both sides need to mellow out, listening to some love-infused Anita Baker crooning, don’t you?
Categories: Boxing, Sport News

Mayweather set to fight Pacquiao – in court

March 22, 2011 Leave a comment
Unbeaten US boxer Floyd Mayweather will fight Filipino star Manny
Pacquiao after all, although it will be a legal dispute after a federal
judge denied a motion to dismiss the case.
Unbeaten US boxer Floyd Mayweather, seen here, will fight Filipino star
Manny Pacquiao after all, although it will be a legal dispute after a
federal judge denied a motion to dismiss the case.
Pacquiao filed a defamation lawsuit against Mayweather, among
others, that US District Judge Larry Hicks ruled can proceed because
there is sufficient evidence of malicious acts in accusing Pacquiao of
being a dope cheat.
“The truth did not stop Mayweather and the
others,” Pacquiao’s lawsuit contends. “That is because they are
motivated by ill will, spite, malice, revenge and envy.”
“Mayweather
and the others set out on a course designed to destroy Pacquiao’s
career, reputation, honor and legacy and jeopardize his ability to earn
the highest levels of compensation.”
Pacquiao has never tested
positive for performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) but in the 2009 lawsuit
he claims that Mayweather, his father Floyd Snr and uncle Roger,
promoter Oscar de la Hoya and his employee, Richard Schaefer conducted
a campaign in a set of interviews to make people think he used them.
“Defendants
argue that Pacquiao has failed to sufficiently allege malice because
defendants could not have known one way or the other whether Pacquiao
had actually taken PEDs when they made the alleged defamatory
statements,” Hicks wrote in the order upholding the lawsuit.
“However, the court finds that Pacquiao has sufficiently pled malice in the amended complaint.”
Unbeaten
Mayweather and Pacquiao were in talks to stage a megafight between two
of boxing’s biggest stars but negotiations collapsed over demands by
Mayweather that both fighters have blood and urine tests up to 14 days
before the bout.
Pacquiao said he would feel weakened by blood
tests within 24 days of the fight and would not agree to tests any
closer to a bout.
Mayweather Promotions attorney Mark Tratos said
he would continue to push for dismissal of the case, saying comments at
the time were made about Pacquiao’s hesitancy regarding blood tests and
did not claim he was a dope cheat.
Pacquiao attorney Dan Petrocelli said his client’s career would suffer major damage if fans believed he used banned substances.
“Manny
has an unblemished reputation and has earned all of his achievements
through hard work and his natural-born talent and to call him a cheater
is something he cannot and will not tolerate,” Petrocelli said.
“None
of these defendants have had any evidence to back up the assertion that
he has taken performance-enhancing drugs because he didn’t.”
Mayweather,
34, faces an April 25 trial date on a battery charge over an
altercation with a security guard for his homeowners association, who
claims Mayweather poked him during a November argument regarding cars
parking outside Mayweather’s home.
Mayweather also faces a court
hearing on April 28 on domestic violence charges that could send the
fighter to prison for up to 34 years in prison if convicted of all
charges, which include felony counts of grand larceny, coercion and
robbery.
Mayweather is accused of striking and threatening former
girlfriend Josie Harris, stealing her mobile phone and threatening two
of their children in an incident on September 9.
Boxing fans have
hoped that Mayweather, 41-0 with 25 career knockouts, would fight
Pacquiao but Mayweather’s legal woes have put such talk on hold.
Pacquiao,
52-3 with two draws and 38 knockouts and a winner of 13 fights in a row
in the past six years, is set to face 39-year-old US fighter Shane
Mosley, 46-6 with one draw and 39 knockouts, on May 7 in Las Vegas.
Categories: Boxing, Sport News

Mayweather eyes South Africa fight: report

March 2, 2011 Leave a comment

Unbeaten US
boxer Floyd Mayweather, who is facing felony charges that could bring
in 34 years behind bars, is talking about staging a fight in South Africa in July, his uncle Jeff says.

Jeff Mayweather, a former fighter himself, told the website
http://www.fighthype.com his nephew was in talks with the family of Nelson
Mandela about a possible fight around the time of Mandela’s 93rd
birthday on July 18.

Having Floyd Mayweather, 41-0 with 25 knockouts, fight anywhere has
become a rare event. His last bout was 10 months ago when he won a
unanimous decision over Shane Mosley, who will fight Filipino star
Manny Pacquiao on May 7.

Floyd Mayweather’s only other fight since December of 2007 was a
2009 decision over Juan Manuel Marquez that ended an 18-month hiatus
from the ring.

Fight fans have dreamed of a Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown, although
it is unlikely “Pretty Boy Floyd” would take on such a fight in South
Africa after a layoff and that Pacquiao would return to the ring so
soon to meet Mayweather.

A fight in South Africa in July could set the stage for a possible November or December fight against Pacquiao.

“I know he is talking to Nelson Mandela’s daughter,” Jeff Mayweather
said. “Of course, in the midst of that, they are also trying to make
the fight between Floyd and Manny.”

Mayweather, who turned 34 last Thursday, also faces two court fights in Las Vegas, the most serious of which is a domestic violence case.

Mayweather faces an evidence hearing next week on charges that he
struck and threatened former girlfriend Josie Harris, stole her
telephone and threatened two of their children in an incident last
September.

In an unrelated case, Mayweather faces charges of poking a security
guard in the face during a scuffle in November over parking tickets
issued to vehicles around Mayweather’s home in a private neighborhood.
That trial will not start until April 25 at the earliest.

Pacquiao, 52-3 with two draws and 38 knockouts, will try and make
Mosley, 46-6 with one draw and 39 knockouts, his 14th victim in a row
over a six-year unbeaten run.

Source: AFP

Categories: Boxing, Sport News