Home > Local News > Protest turns violent

Protest turns violent

Photo by: Heng Chivoan
A protest allegedly turned violent outside Kampong Speu provincial court
yesterday after security guards confronted about 1,000 garment workers,
who were demanding the release of an arrested union representative.

Trade Union representative Sun Pisey was arrested last Friday after
allegedly scarring fellow Sang Vo garment factory employee Soem Voleak
during a scuffle.

Sang Vo workers, who protested outside the
court for a second day yesterday, said Sun Pisey was advocating the
benefits of joining the union when Soem Voleak attacked him and was
arrested because of his union affiliations.

Protestor Man Thavy
claimed yesterday that security guards from Sang Vo hit her across the
head with sticks as they confronted demonstrators. “I lodged a complaint
to … [the] district police chief to hunt for justice,” she said.

Sokha, chief of administration at Sang Vo, denied yesterday that
company security guards had interfered with the protest. “The factory
does not fine, punish or remove union representatives from the factory’s
[books],” he said.

Mich Sophorn, chief of the crimes department at the district police, said yesterday that he would investigate the allegations.

president Chea Mony yesterday condemned the alleged violence and
requested that the government take action against the factory.

Provincial chief prosecutor Khut Sopheang could not be reached for comment by The Post yesterday.

Categories: Local News
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: