Home > Local News > King, Queen voice concern at fighting’s effect on locals

King, Queen voice concern at fighting’s effect on locals

Thailand’s King Bhumibol Adulyadej
Their Majesties the King and Queen have voiced
concern over the livelihoods of villagers affected by fighting between
Thailand and Cambodian at the border.
The Rajaprajanugroh Foundation was ordered yesterday to distribute
3,000 blankets and 1,000 kitchen utensils among 3,000 Thai villagers
taking shelter at an emergency centre in Si Sa Ket province’s
Kantharalak district.
Si Sa Ket governor Somsak Suwansujjarit said about 15,300 villagers
had sought help from 38 emergency assistance centres across the
province since the border violence erupted on Friday.
Thais living near the 4.6-square-kilometre border area contested by
Thailand and Cambodia have been evacuated after fighting broke out
between troops at Thai military posts in Phu Ma Khua and Pha Mor I Dang.
The Interior Ministry has opened a Krung Thai Bank account for those
who want to donate money to help the affected villagers. The bank
account number is 159-0-05733-3.
Clashes at the weekend resulted in the death of a Thai civilian and
one Thai soldier, as well as injuries to 34 Thai civilians and troops.
The casualties among the Cambodians is not known.
Further fighting erupted again yesterday and lasted about 20
minutes. No deaths or injuries were reported, although the Foreign
Ministry says the situation is being investigated.
Deputy Interior Minister Thaworn Senneam, who yesterday met local
officials in Si Sa Ket to coordinate damage assessment and supervise
relief efforts, said his ministry had declared tambons Sao Thong Chai
and Bung Malu in Kantharalak as disaster zones and would submit the
matter to the cabinet for consideration today.
Mr Thaworn said the ministry would also set up a disaster relief
centre and allocate between 100 million and 500million baht to assist
those affected should it receive cabinet approval.
He assured that Thai soldiers along the border would be able to
control the situation and provide safety for residents. The ministry’s
village defence volunteers had also been assigned to watch over
affected communities.
“Villagers should remain at the refugee centres while the situation
remains uncertain,” said Col Chinnakat Rattanajittit, a spokesman for
the 2nd Army Region.
Forty-eight schools in Kantharalak affected by the fighting have been ordered closed until at least tomorrow.
Wanna Boonsuk, director of the Si Sa Ket Primary Educational Service
Area Office 4, said the closures were essential as the schools were
within shooting range of the border and buildings at Phum Srol Wittaya
school had been damaged, although no one was hurt.
The 2nd Army yesterday ordered the closure of Chong Jom border pass
in Kab Choeng district of Surin until the situation returns to normal.
Bangkok Post
Advertisements
Categories: Local News
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: