Home > Local News > [Thai] ‘Patriots’ agree to call off rally

[Thai] ‘Patriots’ agree to call off rally

PAD’s Chaiwat Sinsuwong: Wants to inspect border area
SA KAEO : The Thai Patriots Network
has agreed to call off its rally against the Cambodian government after
inspecting the border area near where seven Thais were arrested last
The leaders of the People’s
Alliance for Democracy (PAD) splinter group, led by Chaiwat Sinsuwong,
held talks for more than five hours yesterday with Sa Kaeo governor
Sanit Naksuksri and pledged to call off their demonstration today if
they were allowed to see the area in Khok Sung district where Democrat
Party MP Panich Vikitsreth, PAD key member Veera Somkwamkid and five
others were detained.
Mr Sanit said the Burapha Task
Force would escort 10 representatives of the network to the border area
to ensure their safety. The network leaders have promised to disperse
after the visit.

About 300 members of the network and
PAD supporters from the province set up camp in Aranyaprathet last
night after staging their rally in the district yesterday. They
cancelled an earlier plan to go to the border after soldiers blocked
their caravan of 30 vehicles and told them to return to Aranyaprathet.
Task force commander Walit Rojanapakdi said he could not allow them to enter Cambodia.
Their gathering prompted the 1st Army Region and task force to close Sripen Road that follows the border in the province.
About 300 villagers from Khok
Sung district also agreed to end their counter-rally against the
network last night and returned home after the group was prevented from
entering the border area.
Mr Sanit said the seven Thais detained in Cambodia for entering the country illegally had been arrested in Cambodian territory.
They were taken into custody on
K5 Road by Cambodian soldiers, the governor said. The road was seen on
video footage posted on YouTube.
“The [Thai] Border Patrol
Police officers spotted Mr Panich and his group’s car driving past and
tried to stop them, but to no avail,” he said.
“This was a repeat of Mr
Veera’s previous intrusion into Cambodia and this time the Cambodian
authorities reported the incident to their government just before we
could do anything to help,” Mr Sanit said.
Bangkok Post

Categories: Local News
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: