Home > Local News > Killer elephant finally subdued

Killer elephant finally subdued

Wednesday, 15 December 2010 21:57 Adam Miller and Buth Reaksmey Kongkea 
A veterinarian from the Forestry Administration injects a tranquilser to subdue Sambo as mahouts secure chains around his legs. Photo by: Adam Miller
An elephant that has wreaked havoc in Kampong Speu province’s Mon
village in the last two weeks was finally subdued yesterday by wildlife
experts and local authorities using tranquilisers.
The elephant,
known as Sambo, trampled its owner on December 3 and fled into nearby
jungle, from which it has since terrorised local residents by raiding
farms and destroying crops.
Jack Highwood, director of the NGO
Elephants Livelihood Initiative Environment in Mondulkiri province,
assisted in subduing the rampaging elephant, who was shot with
tranquiliser darts and then chained to the ground in an effort to
restrain the animal until authorities decide where to transport it.
a wait-and-see situation. He’s sedated and chained quite heavily, and
we’ve tied the chains to a log in the ground which we’ve buried in
order to keep him under control. Hopefully, that will hold him,”
Highwood said.
“The next step is to limit his food and water
intake and keep him alive. We will help the Forestry Administration
look after him until they can find a solution.”
Animal experts
from the ELIE, the World Wildlife Alliance and the Forestry
Administration, worked together to subdue Sambo, while local police and
military helped keep the crowds of onlookers back from the
unpredictable and hostile elephant.
“Until now, we were not able
to catch Sambo because he was very aggressive and no one could get
close to him to detain him and prevent him from hurting or killing
other people,” Kampong Speu Governor Kang Heang said yesterday.
added that local authorities lacked the equipment and resources to
properly control the elephant, which led to delays in taking action, as
authorities and the experts involved wanted to use peaceful means to
capture him.
“Today is a huge accomplishment. The Forestry
Administration, the World Wildlife Alliance and the ELIE managed to
successfully work together with local authorities to capture the
elephant and keep it alive. The FA did a very good job of tranquilising
the elephant, and he is not dead because we prevented him from falling
over,” said Highwood.
The Phnom Penh Post 
Categories: Local News
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: